I am turning the “BIG 50’ on June 1st, and this causes me much reflection I must admit. Besides the typical “Holy Smokes! Where did the time go?” are the more important questions of:
- “How will I be remembered?
- How do I want to spend therest of my remaining years?
- What legacy will I leave?
- What are my priorities?
- Have I made a difference in people’s lives?
So many fleeting thoughts race through my mind daily about the remaining time I have left on this earth. It wasn’t until a few years ago when I sobered up, that I realized I wasted away precious time fighting the illusions of the world, believing the social lies that are fed into us daily, hour by hour, minute by minute, second by second. We get so caught up in what society tells us we should be doing, that we ultimately forget to look behind the curtain of illusion to see what’s there waiting for us to take hold of it. What secrets are still waiting to be revealed to us?
I have physically and mentally fought to be where I am today (whatever that means because I’m still not sure where I am). What I mean is that I have earned every scar, every stress line and every grey hair on me. I made many, many bad choices in life, but I have also made good choices that I am very proud of. I believe the art of living, is being able to recognize the good, the bad and the ugly. It means being able to acknowledge the mistakes you made, make your amends and move on to better experiences with the lessons that you learned. Learning to live within the precious moments we are given because that is all we really have. The past is gone, and the future awaits full of possibilities, but what is it you are doing with the moments you have right now?
Stop and think about your life today as it stands in all it’s glory or disaster.
- What are you feeling right now?
- Is there something you need to fix?
- Amends that need to be made? The ripple effect of love and forgiveness extend further than you can ever imagine, so why not start right now? Is that disagreement you had with your spouse, kids or siblings that important to hold a grudge and foster resentment?
- Is jealousy really something you want hanging off your aura daily?
- Is being right ALL the time and having the last word truly necessary?
These are all petty issues and fall into the category of the five passions of the mind, those of which we all fall prey to due to human nature. These are: Vanity, Greed, Lust, Anger and Attachment. The art of living applies to recognizing these traits in yourself and taking the steps to change negative behaviours that affect not only yourself, but everyone around you.